Taking your family or friends camping is a great way to create and strengthen lifelong bonds. Additionally, it’s even more perfect for taking them out and into different surroundings that you can all enjoy. However, having a comfortable tent is an essential part of the journey.
When you take along a larger camping tent, it will be much easier on everyone. This prevents the hassle and the problems of many small ones. All you’ll need to do is clear a flat space on the camping grounds and assemble your tent.
Tents have come a long way and they’re now even more durable and lightweight than before.
Benefits of a Large Family Tent
When your tent has different rooms, it becomes easier for everyone to have their own space. As such, areas can be easily sectioned off for persons to sleep or even change in privacy during the day. There’s so much space that you’ll even be able to store your gear in a different location.
The kids will love this since they still get to be on their own in their own area. When it comes to the great outdoors, there’s never really much or any privacy that you can have. However, with these state-of-the-art tents, you’ll be able to enjoy some space for yourself while everyone else does the same.
If you’ve never considered temperature control, you may want to start doing so now. Some prefer a breezy night while others want the windows closed. When you purchase these multi-sectional tents, everyone can have their way. The best part of purchasing these tents is that everyone has less to worry about.
Lessening down on the number of tents is great since it allows you to bring along other items in place of more tents. Additionally, you’ll be able to worry less about the clearing that you’ll need for the tents. Hence, the overall experience is hassle-free and quick.
It should be noted that when bigger tents are involved, there’s no reason to worry about sudden bad weather. So, if ever you get stuck in a storm or simply pouring rain, everyone will be safer together inside the big tent. In the case of extra large tents, you’ll all be comfortable and you can even set up a couple of chairs while you hide out until the rain is over.
Best Large Family Camping Tents
- Coleman 8-Person Elite Montana Tent (Best 8 Person Tent)
- Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent (Best 9 Person Tent)
- Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Outdoor Tent (Best 10 Person Tent)
- Ozark Trail 12-Person Instant Cabin Tent (Best 12 Person Tent)
- Ozark Trail Base Camp 14-Person Cabin Tent (Best 14 Person Tent)
1. Coleman 8-Person Elite Montana Tent | Best Large Family Camping Tent | Best 8 Person Tent
- Spacious 8-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air...
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted...
- Extended door awning keeps shoes and gear dry; hinged door...
- Measures 16 x 7 feet with 6-foot 2-inch center height
- Quick setup in 15 minutes with carry bag included for easy...
One of the biggest tents on the markets is the Coleman Elite Montana tent. Unlike many others, it features its own bag that allows for easy storage and transport. Additionally, it can easily fit up to 8 persons comfortably and you’ll still have sufficient room.
To give you a better idea, the Coleman can fit up to three queen-sized air beds and you’ll be able to stay upright as much as you want or need. The peak is 6 feet 2 inches and the base is measured at 16 by 7 feet. While it may seem somewhat big, assembly only requires up to 15 minutes.
In terms of the exterior, the awning attached to the Elite Montana ensures that all of your gear is protected on the outside. Additionally, the weatherTec system has welded floors and a specially designed inverted seam. This prevents you from becoming wet or too dry depending on the weather.
- Size: 16 x 7
- Material: Fiberglass
- Item Weight: 24.5 Pounds
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Fiberglass
- Very affordable
- State-of-the-art weather system
- Inverted seams prevent water from coming in
- Has an easy accessible hinged door
- Somewhat narrow
2. Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent | Best 9 Person Tent
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center...
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent.Pole...
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep...
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not...
- Includes tent, tent poles, rain fly, tent stakes, and carry...
The Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent occupies a space somewhere between a barebones model and the deluxe. However, its design is standard and has a very high midpoint. The midpoint tapers closer to the ends and the rainfly is very easy to assemble.
So, if ever you need to remove the rainfly, there’s no need to worry because it can be done in a jiffy. The door on this one is more than large enough for everyone to go in and out comfortably. The Core 9 also features a state-of-the-art venting system that removes any stale air with efficiency. This makes it easier to breathe inside the tent.
When compared to other large tents, assembly is quick and easy and the teardown phase is even easier. While the rainfly is a bit small, there are no serious or real implications attached.
- Material Durable: 68D Polyester
- Special Feature: Water-Resistant, Tent Stakes, Rainfly
- Item Weight: 18.21 Pounds
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Fiberglass
- The fabrics are water repellant
- Effective and efficient venting system
- A lantern hook and a gear loft are some great features of this one
- The rainfly is a bit too small
3. Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Outdoor Tent | Best 10 Person Tent
- Cabin-like 10-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size...
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted...
- Hinged front door for easy entry and room divider for extra...
- Sets up easily in 20 minutes
- Measures 17 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height
With the newly designed 10-person tent, you’ll be able to successfully fit up to three queen-sized beds and your gear comfortably. The WeatherTech system is also added to this one and has been designed to ensure that you’re safe and warm in the cold. So, if you’re looking for a winner that can withstand even the toughest conditions, this is the one for you.
The following are the main weatherproof system in place:
- The polyester fabric comes with zippers, webbing, and anti-wicking thread
- Needle holes are kept hidden with the inverted seams
- The poles and triangles are strong and can respond well to strong winds
- Welded floors
- Zipper cuffs
Additionally, there’s also a hinged door that removes the constant zipping and unzipping. This one requires up to 20 minutes to set up and creates a whopping 17 by 9 feet of living space. The center is 8 inches and the sleeping area is 6 feet. This makes it easier for tall people to move around easily.
- Material: Fiberglass, Steel
- Item Weight: 30.86 Pounds
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Steel
- The carrying bags are robust and have easy to hold handles
- Comfortable screen porch
- Excellent headroom
- The poles could be heavier
4. Ozark Trail 16×16-Feet 12-Person 3 Room Instant Cabin Tent with Pre-Attached Poles | Best 12 Person Tent
- 16' x 16' instant cabin tent
- Sleeps 12
- Fits 3 queen airbeds
- Sets up in under 2 minutes
- 7 fully closeable windows
With this tent, you’ll be able to enjoy a camping trip with you and 11 others. The tent features pre-attached poles which make the setup quick and easy. It can be pitched in as little as just 2 minutes.
If you’re leaving in a hurry, there’s no need to worry because the teardown time is even less than the pitch time. There are three rooms that easily fit up to three queen-sized beds. The tent also has 7 windows which can be either opened or closed depending on preferences.
Unlike many others, there an attached electrical 120 V cord so you can use heaters, lamps, phones, and air conditioners. According to the buyer’s report, this tent is constructed to last and has great resistance against rain. Its design allows it to be easily stored and the price is great given all of the features and the size.
- Material: Polyester
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Maximum Height: 12.6 Inches
- Offers privacy and each room has its own entrance
- Can be taken down very quickly
- Setup time is great for a large tent
- The center bar is not long enough
5. Ozark Trail Base Camp 14-Person Cabin Tent | Best 14 Person Tent
- 3 sewn-in room dividers, 1, 2, 3 or 4 rooms, 4 doors provide...
- 12 windows for great visibility and ventilation, Floor size:...
- Sleeps up to 14 people, Set up time: 20 minutes, 3 room...
- Room dividers can be tied back to make 1 large room, Fits up...
- E-port provides easy access to extension cord, Taped fly...
This amazing cabin tent fits up to 14 persons and weighs around 50 lbs. However, there are 4 featured rooms, 12 windows, and a camping cover. When compared to many others, this one is a non-freestanding model and the walls are extremely high. The middle runs up to 78″.
It should be noted that the tent was built for milder conditions. This includes moderate rain, a mild environment, and some warm weather without wind. In essence, this is well suited for the summer months. The dividers close the walls and the mesh with zippers was made for privacy.
- Color: Blue, Yellow
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Maximum Height: 78 Inches
- Useful electrical port
- Accommodates up to 14 persons
- Durably made
- Not recommended for the cold
The Size of the Family
One of the main factors to consider when choosing a tent is the size of the family. Generally speaking, you should buy a tent that is bigger than what you actually need. If you are a family of three, then go for a 6-person tent. If you have a family of six, then opt for an 8-person tent.
Many extra large tents are square or rectangular. However, there are some large tents that are circular. The tents that have vertical walls are the ones that usually have more room to stand inside. This is why you need to pay attention to the sides of the tent, more specifically the slopes.
Various materials are used to make tents. When buying a tent, consider the materials used to make it. That being said, a few materials tents are made with include:
Polyester – The majority of tents are made with polyester. Polyester is water-resistant, lightweight, and durable. Polyester does a good job of resisting UV rays, too.
Nylon – Some of the strongest tents are made with nylon. Nylon is a tough material and it is difficult to tear. Tents that have been designed to be used in extreme weather conditions are typically made with nylon.
Polyethylene – Most tents are never made with 100% polyethylene. However, this material is usually used to make a tent more waterproof. In the majority of tents, the material is used as flooring.
Canvas – This material is a classic. However, it’s not used that often to make modern tents. This is because it’s not that good at repelling water. Not only that, but the canvas is heavy, even when it is completely broken down.
Tents need to be practical to use, which is why you should consider a tent’s interior height. If the height of the interior is efficient, then you should be able to easily stand up and move around. You should also be able to change your clothes without struggling.
Choice of Material
If you plan on doing hiking, then there’s a chance you’ll be carrying your tent with you. Choose a tent that is made with lightweight material if you plan on carrying your tent around with you on hikes. Choose a tent made with fabric that is weather-resistant if you will be camping somewhere that gets wet weather.
The Overall Design
Tents come in many designs, with some having extra features. What type of features a tent should have all depends on what your needs are and the needs of others who are going to use it. Some of the top features you should consider include: ease of installation, rain-fly, roof ventilation, and lamp mounts to name a few.
It is important for a tent to have good ventilation. A tent with proper ventilation will have windows, as well as vents in either the roof and/or the ground. The more ventilation a tent has, the better off you’ll be.
If there will be several people camping with you, then a tent should have more than just one door. At the minimum, a tent should have two doors to allow people to easily leave and enter the tent, as well as reduce the chances of them needing to step over guests who are sleeping. Plus, two doors make it easier to exit and enter the tent in the middle of the night when guests might need to use the bathroom.
Finally, choose a tent with a rain-fly. This will ensure that you will not end up getting soaking wet in the event it rains out when you’re camping. The inside of your tent will remain clean and dry if it is equipped with a rain-fly. The good news is if your tent doesn’t have one, then you can purchase a rain-fly and install it yourself.
- Coleman Dark Room Skydome Camping Tent Review - August 7, 2021
- Moon Lence Instant Pop Up Camping Tent Review - August 7, 2021
- Ozark Trail 10 Person 2 Room Cabin Camping Tent Review - August 6, 2021
Last update on 2022-05-30 / Rating by Author / Affiliate links, Images, Descriptions & Price from Amazon Product Advertising API