For small families that would require extra breathing space, a 5 person tent will be fit for you. The 80 square feet of space can comfortably accommodate a small family of 4 or 2-3 adults.
Best 5 Person Tents for Camping
- Browning Camping Big Horn Tent (Best Overall & Best for Tall Campers)
- Coleman Rocky Mountain 5 Plus Family Tent (Professional’s Choice)
- Wenzel Dome Tent (Best Budget Option)
- SEMOO Dome Tent Family Camping Tent
- ALPS Mountaineering Expedition-Tents Taurus Outfitter Tent
1. Browning Camping Big Horn Tent | Best Overall & Best for Tall Campers
- Our Browning Big Horn Series is a free-standing tent with...
- Extra tall center and straight side walls gives more room...
- Four large windows, one doorway and mesh roof offer easy...
- Fully equipped with mesh storage pockets, polyester fly, guy...
- Base Size: 8' x 10', Packed Size: 9" x 29" Center Height:...
For tall campers, the Browning Big Horn tent is a good option. With a headspace of 7ft(84in/213cm), the tent offers plenty of space to walk around and move about. The straight walls also give its users an extra sense of space.
Despite the lack of an overhead storage loft, the browning big horn tent has lots of storage pockets. The fiberglass poles that hold the tent are strong and capable of protecting the tent from strong winds. The floors with 2,000mm coating and polyester walls are used to offer additional support.
Its seams are factory-sealed and as a result a good choice during the rainy conditions. The factory-sealed seams ensure no leakages during heavy rains. The two doors and four windows ensure the tent is well ventilated. The parts are labeled with an easy setup instructions manual.
- Material: Polyester
- Item Weight: 21 Pounds
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Fiberglass
2. Coleman Rocky Mountain 5 Plus Family Tent | Professional’s Choice
- TWO XXL BLACK OUT BEDROOMS: with 99% of daylight being...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, STURDY AND EASY TO PITCH FAMILY SIZE TUNNEL...
- LARGE LIVING AREA: spacious enough to take a family table...
- 100% WATERPROOF & UV GUARD: 4500mm HH combined with taped...
- PITCH-IN-ONE TENT: set up size: 4.55 x 3.1 x 1.85m (LxWxH);...
This type of tent has a total usable area of 120.5 square feet. This is more than enough usable area. The tent has three rooms including the porch/living area.
The Rocky Mountain Tent’s porch features include two large ventilation windows on the sides, and also extra-large windows on either side of the door. The ventilation profile is completed with the extra window at the back of the tent.
The function of the dark layering in the main room is to keep the glare away from the sun. This feature makes the Rocky Mountain Tunnel Tent even more fascinating. With plenty of space and comfort, it is an exceptional blackout tent.
Protection from the sun and the rain is offered by the rainfly on the tent. An SPF of 50 protection is offered from the sun. The tent is an excellent waterproof solution with the presence of a fully sewn-in groundsheet and tape seams in the living area.
- Material: Polyurethane
- Special Feature: Waterproof, Lightweight
- Item Weight: 15.9 Kilograms
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Fiberglass
3. Wenzel Dome Tent | Best Budget Option
- 5 person tent perfect for your next camping adventure easy...
- Side and rear mesh tent walls for great ventilation
- Removable rain fly with 600 mm waterproofing and seam tape
- Storage bag included
- Dimensions: 10 ft. X 8 ft. / 80 Square Feet
For beginners who are five in number, this is a fantastic choice of tent. It is relatively affordable and most suitable during the summer.
It is also a good choice for families with kids who may damage it or get destructive or even festival-goers.
Apart from its price, The Wenzel tent also has other pleasing features. The three mesh walls are used in place of windows. The mesh walls make the tent perfect for camping in the summers. Even with the rainfly on, the tent remains well ventilated hence perfect airflow in the tent. It has an easy setup procedure due to its X frame design. This greatly simplifies the assembly process.
The tent has plenty of floor space which is ideal for relaxing. Five people can comfortably use their sleeping bags in this tent. If you wish to plug in your electronic gadget, the tent has a power cord vent in case this need arises.
- Special Feature: Rainfly
- Item Weight: 8 Pounds
- Shape: Dome
4. SEMOO Dome Tent Family Camping Tent
- ❤SPACIOUS AND CONVENIENT: This lightweight 5 person dome...
- ❤DURABLE MATERIAL: Polyester with Polyurethane Coating for...
- ❤EASY TO SET UP: Easy to setup and tear down with shock...
- ❤PRODUCT DIMENSIONS: 94.5'' L x 118'' W x 73'' H
- ❤100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE : Semoo aims to provide best...
These camping tents are liked because of their long durability. The SEMOO Dome Tent Family Camping Tent is just but one of the proofs.
The floors are made of waterproof and anti-tear polythene material. For support, the poles are made of strong fiberglass. These distinct characteristics make the tents last long, reliable, and stable.
Five persons can comfortably stay in the tent during their camping period. With a center peak height of about 70.9″, the tent has a floor area of 94.5″*118″ The five people will comfortably sleep in the tent and not feel squeezed.
The tent has large windows and vents, and a large top mesh for effective privacy protection at night and airflow. For storage space, the tent has a gear loft and a lantern hook for tucking your light at night. The small essentials and gears can be kept in the different pockets available in the tent.
- Material: Polyester, Fiberglass, Polyurethane
- Special Feature: Water-Resistant, Lightweight, Rainfly
- Pole Material Type: Fiberglass
5. ALPS Mountaineering Expedition-Tents Taurus Outfitter Tent
- Easy assembly with free-standing two-pole design, aluminum...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding...
- Great ventilation and easy entry with mesh roof and two...
- Our Taurus Outfitter Series has 2 key upgrades: oversized...
- Base Size: 8' x 10', Center Height: 72", Total Weight: 13...
It is a reliable and durable tent for five persons. It offers quality weatherproof accommodation. The tent is made of lightweight aluminum tent poles, easy-to-use pole clips, and a free-standing design.The floor is made from durable strong nylon with a 1500mm waterproof coating.
The floor is also factory sealed with the rainfly to prevent leaking in the tent. The tent has an area of 80 square feet, with extra 32 square feet in the vestibule area for dry storage.
Extra storage is also offered by the gear loft and the mesh storage pockets. Stargazing and ventilation are allowed due to the availability of a vent in the rainfly. The rainfly has adjustable weatherproof buckles for all your needs. This ensures the tent is watertight and secure.
- Material: Aluminum
- Special Feature: Lightweight, Rainfly
- Pole Material Type: Aluminum
- Maximum Height: 72 Inches
What are You Using It for?
If you are bringing your car along for your camping trip, you don’t need to worry about buying a lightweight tent that’s easy to carry. However, if you are an adventurer, hiker, or backpacker, you need to look for a lightweight tent.
If you are going camping in a hot climate, you don’t need to worry about a tent that traps heat. Rather, you need one that offers a lot of ventilation and UV protection.
Remember, camping is highly weather-dependent. Therefore, plan for the weather you are expecting.
Most types of tents can fit 5 people squeezed together. Ideally, they are perfect for 2 to 3 people or for small families with 2 adults with 1-2 kids.
Most tents have a base of 80 square feet but have an additional vestibule space or meshed rooms where you can sit down comfortably. These will usually double the total size of the tent.
Choose a tent that’s about 6 feet high so that you have an easy time getting in and out of the tent as well as avoid slouching when inside.
If you have a small space to fit your tent, you need to consider the packed size. For example, if you have a small car with very little storage space or are backpacking, you need to consider the packed size of your tent. By checking the packed size, you should be able to ascertain how to transport your camping gear.
Tents are usually manufactured from different materials. Here is what you need to know.
- Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) – If you are buying a tent on a budget, you should opt for one made out of PVC. It’s affordable to some of the weatherproof materials. However, it is not very breathable and might result in a lot of issues on warmer nights.
- Polyester – It is a lightweight material that is very durable especially if coated in acrylic polyurethane solution. The coating will keep out the rain so you should buy a tent with a decent coating if you suspect rain on your camping trip.
- Nylon – It is similar to polyester and often coated with the same types of materials. It’s not as durable as polyester.
- Cotton – Tents made out of cotton are harder to find. You should leave it out in the rain a few times before you use it to allow the fibers to swell and draw close together preventing rain from getting in.
- Polycotton Canvas – It is a mixture of polyester and cotton. It is also coated for more weather protection.
Tents are designed to suit various seasons. Therefore, you need to consider the season and the weather conditions in your camping spot before buying a tent.
- 1-season Tents – They are mostly used for festivals and backyard camping trips. They are small and lightweight and very easy to store. They can’t withstand rain so you should expect to get wet if you are stuck in a sudden storm.
- 2-season Tents – They have some weatherproofing features but not a lot. This type of tent can withstand a small shower but not extreme rainfall.
- 3-season Tents – They are the most versatile tents and are readily available in the market. They can withstand some hefty rain showers and a decent amount of wind.
- 4-season Tents – These are designed for cold weather camping. They are heavyweight so you should buy one if you are going camping in the rain or snow.
- 5-season Tents – These are harder to come by because they are designed for explorers traveling in harsh conditions. They are special tents and very expensive.
When thinking about weather protection, there are a few things to consider such as wind, rain, or heat.
Most tents are designed with a rain fly. It is an outer layer that protects the inside of the tent from getting wet. The rainfly can either be permanently attached or removable, especially if you want to take it off in warm weather to improve ventilation.
Some tents also have a footprint which is a waterproof layer that is placed underneath the tent. It prevents moisture from seeping through the bottom of the tent. You should also look for tents that prevent leaks from rain such as covered zippers and heat-sealed seams. These measures are in place to prevent rain from escaping through the tiny gaps in the materials.
With regard to wind protection, you should look at tents with stronger rods and poles that are used to create the frame. Fiberglass and aluminum are the most popular choices. Note that, aluminum is lightweight so it’s perfect for traveling because you don’t want to carry around heavy poles. It will not guarantee the same protection as fiberglass in windy conditions since the latter is heavier and stronger.
You need to buy a tent that offers a lot of ventilation on warm summer evenings or you will have a hard time sleeping in the hot weather. The best tents for ventilation have large mesh panels and windows to allow a lot of air to move through without allowing bugs inside.
Pitching the Tent
Also, you need to check how easy it is to pitch the tent before buying it. If it is easy to pitch, you will have an easy time camping.
Recently, there are a lot of pop-up tents in the market. Of course, they might be appealing to a lot of campers but might not be the best option. That’s because they are less reliable than conventional tents.
A lot of camping beginners love pop-up tents. However, it’s a good idea to know how to pitch a tent. With most of the modern tent designs, you can’t take more than 20 minutes to pitch a tent. Actually, with a little practice, you should be able to complete pitching within 10 minutes.
Most of the modern tent designs come with numerous extra features such as a light hanger, gear loft, window awnings, and mesh pockets. These extra features will definitely improve your tent usage. Since most tents are for long-term use, you should get one with a lot of extra features since it’s a good investment.
Last update on 2021-10-27 / Rating by Author / Affiliate links, Images, Descriptions & Price from Amazon Product Advertising API