Camping can be a great experience. However, a wonderful experience can become a nightmare when it starts to rain and water seeps into your tent getting everything wet, including yourself.
Ensuring that your camping tent is waterproof is essential to staying dry and comfortable in rainy conditions.
Best Waterproof Tents for Camping
- Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room (Best Overall)
- Coleman Sundome Tent (Best Value)
- Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent (Best Waterproof Family Tent)
- Geertop 4 Season Family Tent (Best for Bad-Weather Backpacking)
- Teton Sports Mountain Ultra Tent (Best Tent for Backpacking)
1. Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room | Best Overall
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water...
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room
- Roomy interior: 10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 8 inch center...
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
Our best waterproof tent is the affordable Coleman Dome Tent with an enclosed Screen Room to keep out the bugs.
This spacious tent is comfortable enough for 6 people. It can accommodate two queen-sized air mattresses with ease and still has room for all your belongings. You will love the screened-in porch measuring 10′ x 5′ that provides extra space for campers to relax.
The inner tent is only 5 feet high which means it may not be high enough for most adults to stand up comfortably. However, it has plenty of space inside for campers to move around in. Convenient storage pockets keep your personal belongings safely out of the way to provide more space.
The Proprietary Weathertec System with sealed seams and welded floors ensure that you are protected from the damp in rainy weather conditions. Made from 75-denier taffeta polyester, the body of the tent features weatherproof cuffs on the zippers to keep dampness out.
You will love the mesh area on top of the tent that provides cross-ventilation for airflow. Sturdy aluminum alloy poles help to stabilize the structure and keep it steady in windy conditions.
The Coleman Sundome is extremely easy to erect. It takes just 15 minutes to set up the rainfly and it comes with a handy storage bag for easy transportation.
- Material: Nylon
- Item Weight: 20.9 Pounds
- Shape: Dome
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Screen room
- Welded floors and sealed seams
- Rain will enter the screen room
2. Coleman Sundome Tent | Best Value
If you are looking for a waterproof camping tent that has the best value for money, you won’t find one that is better priced than the Coleman Sundome.
The key feature that makes the Sundome waterproof is Coleman’s Weathertech System technology. The extremely durable material ensures that you will feel warm and cozy inside the tent regardless of what the weather brings. Inverted seams and wealed corners prevent the interior from becoming damp even during prolonged rain.
Coated polyester fabric on the walls and the fly that is rugged enough to withstand even the harshest weather conditions. Welded floors prevent water from seeping through the tent and turning the floor into a pool of water.
It has an extra-large door for easy entry and exit even for tall persons. Ventilation vents and large windows provide enough light and fresh air inside the tent. Even when it is raining heavily outside you can enjoy comfortable airflow provided by the vents.
Other useful features of the Sundome include handy mesh pockets inside to store all your personal gadgets and gear. The smart E-port inside the tent provides electricity supply without a problem.
Just like all Coleman tents, the Sundome is extremely easy to set up, taking only 10 minutes to fully erect. The polyester fabric makes this tent extremely lightweight and easy to transport.
- Material: Fiberglass
- Special Feature: Rainfly
- Item Weight: 6.38 Pounds
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Large and roomy
- Adequate airflow
- 100% waterproof
- Thousands of positive reviews
- Not all that durable
3. Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent | Best Waterproof Family Tent
- Convertible screen room with inverted "T" style door and...
- Removable seam-sealed fly
- Mesh roof vents
- 3 zippered side windows with inside flaps
- Shock-corded fiberglass roof frame with steel uprights and...
Our next recommendation in the Best Waterproof Tent category is the larger Klondike tent from Wenzel. The Wenzel 8 Person Klondike is ideal for families who wish to enjoy a caravan-style camping experience but with more space and comfort.
The classic design of the Klondike provides a roomy 90 sq. ft overall space and 6.5′ of headroom space that will allow even the tallest camper to stand upright inside the tent. The screened porch is almost as large as the sleeping area so there is plenty of room for campers to stretch out and relax.
When it comes to important weatherproof features, the Klondike is made of a water-resistant polyester material that makes it suitable for 3-season camping trips. The rainfly only covers the top of the roof, however, rigorous tests have proven that thanks to the leak-proof protection of the double-stitched, flat-sewn seams, the inside will stay dry even during excessive rain.
Two large windows in the main sleeping area and the extensive mesh-screened porch provide ample ventilation. Two doors allow access to the tent area, one to the main tent and one to the screened porch.
- Special Feature: Water-Resistant
- Item Weight: 27.3 Pounds
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Fiberglass, Steel
- Good ventilation
- Spacious interior
- Screen Room
- Withstands heavy wind and rain
4. Geertop 4 Season Family Tent | Best for Bad-Weather Backpacking
- Geertop 4 season Tent for camping is made of high quality...
- 【Lightweight & Backpacking Tent】This 4 person ultralight...
- 【Breathable & Portable Camp Tent】Tent for camping design...
- 【4 Person 4 Season Tent 】The camping tent for family,...
- 【Easy to Set Up Tent】Just only take a few minutes ,...
The 4-Person, 4-Season, Geertop Family Camping Tent has a double layer of waterproofing suitable for outdoor survival travel. The inner tent is made from a combination of durable 210T nylon and polyester mesh panels that help to regulate the temperature inside the tent. The floor is constructed from 210-denier, PU-coated nylon material with an impressive 5000mm HH rating.
The fly is made from tear-resistant polyester fabric with an HH rating of 3000mm. Double-sealed seams in the fly and floor provide added leak resistance that makes it even more watertight.
The spacious interior measuring 94.4 inches x 82.6 inches (54 square feet) provides super-spacious shelter for up to three campers or decent space for four. Thanks to the 53-inch peak height, double-door design, and two large vestibules for gear storage, the Geartop Portable Waterproof Tent provides lots of liveable space.
The Geartop weighs a little over 9 pounds making it heavier than similar 4-season options on the market. However, a small amount of extra weight is a small price to pay given the robust waterproofing and durability that the Geertop offers campers.
- Material: Polyester, Aluminum, Fabric
- Special Feature: Portable, Windproof, Waterproof, Lightweight, Pop Up
- Item Weight: 4.15 Kilograms
- Shape: Dome
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Pole Material Type: Aluminium
- Maximum Height: 53 Inches
- Solid waterproofing
- Manageable weight
- Easy to set up
- 2 Large storage vestibules
- Poor ventilation when the rainfly is on
5. Teton Sports Mountain Ultra Tent | Best Tent for Backpacking
- STAY DRY Waterproof rainfly with a 360degree ventilation...
- ROOM WITH A VIEW Get away from the city lights and enjoy a...
- EASY TO SET UP Lightweight tent packs down tight for...
- PACKS UP EASILY When it’s time to head home the Mountain...
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE Reach out to our AMAZING product...
Next, we take a look at what Teton has to offer in its small, waterproof range. The Teton Sports Mountain Ultra Dome Tent for 1 person is a sleek, lightweight option that is easy to assemble. It is a great choice for backpacking enthusiasts who need their gear to be as lightweight as possible.
When it comes to waterproofing, the Teton Sports is literally seamless eliminating the risk of water leaking through seams. The Teton tent is suitable for 3-season camping so come rain or shine it will keep you protected and dry.
Constructed from highly durable, PU coated, highly durable 66D Ripstop fabric with a 3000mm rating, the rainfly provides the complete waterproof cover. The tent also has a 150D Oxford polyester footprint and a ‘bathtub’ floor.
This lovely little tent may be small but it is designed to withstand any weather conditions, even a mighty thunderstorm with no problems. With all that waterproofing you may think that airflow will be compromised. However, the inner mesh provides ample ventilation and airflow through cutaways in the rainfly.
Sturdily constructed from light aluminum-plus and fast-release buckles make it possible to set the tent up in about 15 minutes and it takes only 5 minutes to take it down. The Teton is available in different sizes so you can choose the size that will be most suitable for you.
- Material: Polyester
- Special Feature: Waterproof, Lightweight, Rainfly
- Item Weight: 4.7 Pounds
- Shape: Dome
- Closure Type: Zipper
- Seamless construction
- Excellent waterproofing
- Lightweight and compact
- Choice of 4 different sizes
- No windows
Comfort, Capacity, and Size
Before you decide to purchase a waterproof tent or consider going camping, you have to consider a tent that will go hand in hand with the activity and people. What does this really mean? In a nutshell, you have to consider the level of comfort you want, the capacity the tent can hold, and its size.
Speaking of size: it is wise to note that the bigger the tent, the heavier it is going to be. This is why it is paramount to consider the goal and purpose of your activity beforehand. For example, are you going with friends (how many friends), alone, with your pet, and the size of your luggage.
It is recommended to look for a tent that offers a minimum of 14 square feet of floor space per adult as a general rule. Of course, this number will increase or decrease based on the size of the sleeper, although the sleeper mat size is fairly uniform.
You have to consider the headroom space as different models come at a different height size. If you have tall members, it is wise to consider them and get something that will not feel like a coffin.
Do not forget to calculate the size of gear you will need. For this reason, you have to ensure the tent has enough size to accommodate all people and the gears. For this reason, consider a tent with an additional 3-4 feet of vestibule space, which is enough for an average camper. If it does not have vestibule space, it is important to ensure it has the same extra storage space.
Packed Size and Weight
A tent’s packed size and weight are important features to consider as they will give you an idea of how easy or difficult it will be to carry. This is very important, especially if you are planning to backpack or hike for long distances before setting up a camp.
In this case, you should always go for a lightweight tent (one that is easy to backpack). As a general rule, it should weigh about 3 pounds. It is important to note that the most advanced waterproof tents can weigh as much as 5 pounds.Those who love solo hiking adventures should consider models that measure about 16 -20 X 6-8 inches to save on pack space.
If you are going camping as a group, consider tent models that allow components to be carried or shared by the group. This technique will allow a user to carry less overall. If you plan to go car camping, then weight and packability are not an issue.
The shape of the tent plays an important role, especially in the wild where strong winds and rain is expected. It also plays a role in keeping water away. Tents often come in 3 different shapes:
- Dome Tents – These tents are superior when it comes to wind stability. That is because the dome shape deflects the wind over its dome-like structure, which means it is far less to get damaged by the wind.
- Cabin Tents – These tents are designed with vertical walls, and they are the best option if you are looking for a tent with the best headspace. However, when it rains, water is more likely to collect on its roof. After some time, it will begin to leak as water begins to weigh down the structure.
- A-Frame Tents – These tents are the most popular and the most preferred due to their benefits. With these tents, water will simply slide off the sides.
Design and Construction
A tent’s construction is far more important and plays a role in keeping its users dry when it rains. In fact, the construction of a tent is the difference between one that will leak and tear over the night and one that will last for long.
For this reason, to avoid all the problems, the first thing to look at should be the fabric. It is important to note that the best waterproof tents are made of polyester or nylon. For this reason, always check and ensure it has the right material.
The next thing to check is the seams. The best waterproof tent will have sealed seams that will keep the rain out. A tent’s seam is considered to be a tent’s weakest point, no matter its size. However, those with sealed seams help guard their users against these vulnerable areas. You may also want to consider buying additional sealers and repair kits if you expect to be on the road for long.
Zippers are another weak points tents have, and it is a place where water can pass through. However, having flaps to protect zippers from direct contact is a technique known to work very well from direct rain.
Deciding whether to go with a single wall tent or double wall tent is an important decision to make. Each has its benefits and limitations as well. For example, a single-walled tent is breathable, waterproof, less expensive, and lightweight. On the other hand, double-walled tents offer excellent water-resistant capabilities, maintain a constant indoor temperature, and highly durable.
The most important feature to look for in a waterproof tent is the rainfly. These features are a lifesaver during thunderstorms. The reason being that they offer additional protection levels against the elements. Let’s not forget that during fine sunny weather, the rainfly can be removed.
Having vestibules and storage is paramount as these areas are important, and rain and mud should never reach those areas. Consider a tent with a large vestibule where you can leave your wet and muddy shoes to dry rather than taking them in the tent.
Finally, do not forget to get a tent with a bathtub design floor. This design plays an important role, in case it rains, and water raises outside the tent or becomes swampy.
Hydrostatic Head Rating
Hydrostatic Head (HH) measures the amount of water a tent can resist. This rating is given in millimeters. Therefore, the higher the number in millimeters, the more water pressure a fabric can resist water pasting through it.
When it comes to tents, a tent floor must have the highest HH rating. That is because it must be able to withstand pressure from the tent user and the total gears.
If you live in an area where light or moderate rain is expected, then you should get a tent rated with 1,500 mm HH, with a floor rating of 3,000 mm rating.
If you live in an area where you experience heavy rains, then you should consider getting a tent fabric rated 2,000 mm HH, with a floor rating of 5,000.
A waterproof tent is designed to keep water away and prevent leakages. This means that everything should be well sealed. However, it may lead to unwanted condensation in the absence of adequate ventilation. The truth is that you may prevent water from getting in, but you also have to breathe, especially if the tent is in its full capacity.
This is why it is important to buy tents that have dedicated ventilation points that can be opened up without letting in water. Its inner layer should be made of mesh. Do not forget to invest in tents with zippered mesh panel doors and windows to have more cross-tent airflow.
If your goal is to plan for an extended trip with the aim of camping in various areas and different regions, you should consider a tent with a quick setup. What does this mean? Well, it simply means that it should be easy to set up and tear down.
Furthermore, a quick setup offers many benefits, especially when it is about to rain. There is nothing stressful like setting up a tent while being rained on.
- Internal Pockets – This is a feature that is used to offer additional security against water damage. They are used to store valuables while sleeping.
- E-Port – This is a feature that allows a tent user to use an extension lead while in the tent. The port is sealed very well, and one can use it to feed a cord into the tent so that a person can use electric devices.
- A Room Divider – This is an additional feature that is perfect when camping as a group. In fact, many large tents have them. It is an excellent feature for families and mixed-sex groups.
- Coleman Dark Room Skydome Camping Tent Review - August 7, 2021
- Moon Lence Instant Pop Up Camping Tent Review - August 7, 2021
- Ozark Trail 10 Person 2 Room Cabin Camping Tent Review - August 6, 2021
Last update on 2022-05-30 / Rating by Author / Affiliate links, Images, Descriptions & Price from Amazon Product Advertising API